Friday, October 31, 2008

Bob's GF Cinnamon Raisin Bread

I admit it: I've been very lazy in the kitchen these days. I'm on the lookout for shortcuts, tricks, and ways to get good results in the kitchen with not-too-much effort. I picked up a package of Bob's Red Mill GF Cinnamon Raisin Bread Mix, and thought I'd give it a shot. This is a yeast bread, so those of you that are avoiding yeast will want to steer clear of this one. I was pleasantly surprised by the texture of the bread as it came out of the oven. . . it looked liked cinnamon raisin bread should look. I did not use the recommended 9X5 loaf pan (have I mentioned that I burned something in my loaf pan a while back? Long story, I'll get to it another day), so I opted for an 8X8 pan instead.


Here are my two main gripes about how this bread turned out. First of all, it is just not sweet enough. I don't like when bread like this is overly sweet, but this was in serious need of some sweetness. This bread was crying out for some jelly, if for no other reason than to add some much needed sugar. Also, the bread has a pretty noticeable saltiness to it. I'm not sure what is causing it. My guess is it have something to do with the yeast, but I could be wrong about that. I will give credit where it's due: the texture is quite good, and I was glad the bread didn't have an overwhelming garbanzo bean taste like some other bread mixes I've tried. I have a hard time with breads that use liberal amounts of garbanzo or fava bean flours. To me they give baked goods an odd aftertaste. Fortunately, the folks at Bob's left that out, opting for a different flour mix.

So would I buy this again? Maybe. The kids liked it, though even they asked me to pass the jelly.

2 comments:

Lynn Barry said...

Slop on some icing or frosting or honey or syrup or or or...hehe...looks good though...you go girl!...HUGS

rjc said...

1-16-09
Bob's Red Mill GF Cinnamon Raisin Bread Mix is a bit too dry and hard for my taste. I agree with the overall review. The GF bread mixes from Bob's Red Mill have a beany after taste. They can also be hard to digest( too gassy). I like the Bob's Red Mill GF pizza crust Mix to make bread. It's hard to find good substitutes for breads and other bake goods when you have both wheat and milk intolerances and allergies. It's nice to find web site like yours where people with similar issues can exchange suggestions and ideas.
rcarre